- Preheat oven to 200°C
- Place apples, Laager Rooibos tea and cinnamon stick in a saucepan. Simmer for 7-10 minutes or until just tender
- Spoon apples and Laager Rooibos tea into a lightly greased oven dish
- Beat buttermilk, milk, vanilla, eggs and lemon rind together. Stir in almonds, flour, baking powder, sugar (optional) and mixed spice to form a runny batter. Pour over the apples
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown and cooked
- Serve immediately with a light dusting of the icing sugar (optional) and 2 tbsp (30 ml) plain low-fat yoghurt per person
This recipe works just as well with ripe pears.
Note that the carb key is close to 30-40 g per portion