We’ve probably all got a ceramic teapot or two at home that’s more functional than it is decorative. Well, this doesn’t have to be the case. That’s why we’re going to help you “up-cycle” those humble teapots in your cupboard.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- A ceramic teapot
- A bowl of soapy water
- A bowl of clean water
- A towel
- Water-based ceramic paints in your chosen colours
- A few paintbrushes
- A working oven
- A baking sheet
- Images or designs for inspiration
- A few stencils if you aren’t comfortable free-hand painting
It’s time to get painting!
- Clean your teapot in soapy water and ensure that it is cleaned well and free from any dirt, dust or grease. This is important to ensure that the paint sticks.
- Rinse and dry your teapot with clean water and towel.
- Choose your design and start painting with your paint and brushes. Use stencils if you need to. You could paint the teapot in one solid colour or use a few different shades to create an interesting look.
- When you’re happy with your painted design, leave the teapot to dry for at least 24 hours.
- Preheat your oven to 90 degrees Celsius.
- Place your painted teapot on a baking sheet and slide it into the oven.
- Once in the oven, drop the temperature to 65 degrees Celsius and bake it for 50 minutes.
Need a little inspiration for a design? Here are a few ideas that we love:
We love this one because it looks like overflowing milk. You could create this with any colour, all you need is a white teapot.
Freehand floral outlines add a trendy touch to a plain white teapot. With a few pops of colour you can really bring out the design and get in touch with your inner doodler.
A creative take on a paint splatter. This idea incorporates a few dots of white on top of the different shades of blue.
Another cute design is this one. It creates the look of bunting along the top of your teapot.
We grabbed all of these off Pinterest, but there are so many different designs to choose from.
If you’ve ever painted a teapot, we’d love to hear if you have any helpful hints or tips. Please share them below.