HEALTH HACKS WITH MBALI
- Hot beverages are must in winter months
Best tip is to choose a hot beverage for kids that is:
- Caffeine free drinks
- Naturally flavourful with no need to add sugar
- Offers health benefits, especially if enriched with vitamins
Example: Laager Tea4kidz + flavours with added vitamin C
- Seasonal vegetables & fruits have power.
- At least 1 fruit a day. Add fruits in smoothies or homemade iced teas or hot teas.
- At least 2 types of vegetables a day. Hide them in soups, stews for the kids.
Examples: Oranges, strawberries, peppers, spinach, guavas.
- Wholegrains are whole.
- Add at least one wholegrain a day in your child’s diet.
- Wholegrains can be served as snacks, &/or in soups this winter.
Examples: Baked beans, homemade popcorn, flaxseeds, peanuts, kidney beans, lentils.
- Fermented foods are important for your kids.
Examples: Plain yoghurt. Maas, fermented vegetables like sauerkraut.
- Spice it up!
- Add spices, herbs & spicy vegetables that offer good health.
- Add these to stews, soups & even hot beverages e.g., rooibos tea.
Examples: Lemons, ginger, herbs, spices (cinnamon, turmeric).
- Fun in the sun
- Sun exposure helps the skin produce vitamin D.
- Let them play also to keep active while making vitamin D.