FIGHT COLDS AND FLU WITH ROOIBOS
For over a century, antioxidant-rich Rooibos tea has been used to help ease and provide protection against colds and flu. Its ability to support the immune system in fighting viruses, enhances the body’s natural defence system making it a must-have pantry staple.
Here’s how Rooibos can help fight coughs and sniffles this winter season:
- One of the most important healing functions of Rooibos tea is that it keeps the body hydrated, unlike Ceylon tea, coffee and energy drinks, which could deplete the body of fluids. These drinks all contain caffeine which is a diuretic. When you’re ill, you tend to lose a lot of fluids from sweating (if you have a fever) and a raised metabolism as your body increases its internal level of activity to battle the infection. Since Rooibos tea is 100% caffeine-free, it will keep you sufficiently hydrated. Drink up to six cups of Rooibos tea a day for maximum benefits.
- Sore throats and other aches and pains that are characteristic of colds and flu, could also benefit from Rooibos tea. Drinking the tea will keep your throat moist and help to reduce irritation.
- Rooibos also has a calming effect on the body, which could help to alleviate tension and thus promote better sleep, which is essential for getting over a cold.
Adele du Toit, spokesperson for the SA Rooibos Council (SARC) says if you’re looking for a natural way to beat colds and flu, look no further than Rooibos.
“It is packed with polyphenols, which are micronutrients with antioxidant activity. Polyphenols act as scavengers of free radicals throughout the body, which are detrimental by-products of cell metabolism that can cause inflammation. Aspalatin – a unique antioxidant found only in Rooibos tea, will help to boost immunity, whilst protecting the body against other illnesses, such as cardiovascular disease and diabetes,” she says.
Laager Rooibos herbal range has a flavour for every occasion and mood.
- If you are looking for a way to relax and unwind after a busy day then a cup of Mint Flavoured Rooibos Chamomile tea is the perfect cuppa for you. The blend combines the best of Rooibos, which is naturally caffeine free, with the well-known soothing benefits of Chamomile.
- For those feeling run down, the zesty flavour and aroma of the Citrus Ginger flavoured Green Rooibos is the ideal combination to awaken your senses and give you the lift you need.
- The juicy burst of berry flavours in the Laager Cranberry Wild Cherry flavoured Rooibos will delight your senses and leave you feeling refreshed. This flavour is also delicious served cold as an iced tea.
- The pure Laager Green Rooibos variant is made from unfermented Rooibos and packed with the benefits of Green Rooibos to restore your mind and body. The ideal beverage for those looking to lead a healthier lifestyle.