- Preheat your oven to 180°C and line a flat baking tray withbaking paper.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour and add in the sugar and butter. Rub the butter into the flour and sugar until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add in the buttermilk. Using a blunt knife, stir the buttermilk into the breadcrumbs until dough starts to form
- Gently press the remaining dough together until it forms a ball. Place the dough onto a floured surface and gently press or roll it out until it is 2½ – 3 cm thick.
- Using a cookie cutter or glass, cut rounds out and place them 1 cm apart on the baking tray.
- Brush the tops with a touch of milk before placing them into the oven to bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until light and golden.
- Allow the scones to cool before serving.
- *Scones are best eaten the day they are made.
- *Tap the top of the scone before removing from the oven. If it sounds hollow then you know they ready.