As a way to honour Koko’s cultural heritage on her 75th birthday, the Ndala familywill be sharing a special recipe infused with the unmatched flavour and healthy benefits of Laager Rooibos.
“’Dombolo’ (steamed bread) is our grandma’s favourite dish!” said Lebo. “She used to make it for us all the time. We even have a special ‘dombolo’ pot at home that has probably been there since before we were even born. This specific dish definitely reminds us of her.”
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Make a well in the centre and pour in the water and oil. Add enough to make a soft (but not sticky) dough.
- Mix and knead for 10 minutes. Leave to rise until double its size (for 1 hour).
- Knock down, transfer to a greased bowl.
- Put the bowl with dough inside a large pot. Add Laager Rooibos tea to the pot, to cover about a 1/3 of the bowl. (No tea/water must get into the actual bowl with the dough).
- Cover tightly with lid and steam on the stove at medium heat for an hour.
- Add more tea to the pot if needed.
- You’ll know it’s done when it gives a hollow sound when tested.