Rock your child’s world with these easy-to-make experiments that will be fun for everyone! A perfect rain day activity for the kids.Parental supervision required.
1. Make a volcano:
You will need: flour, salt, cooking oil, water, large bowl, 1 clean soda/milk bottle, red food colouring, dishwashing liquid, baking soda, vinegar and water.
- 1. Mix 6 cups of flour with 2 cups salt, 4 tablespoons of cooking oil and 2 cups of water in a large bowl.
- 2. Using your hands – mix the ingredients until the mixture is firm and smooth. (add more water if needed)
- 3. Stand your 2l soda bottle on a baking tray.
- 4. Mould the salt dough around your bottle to create a volcano shape but make sure you do not cover the mouth of the bottle. You can even paint your volcano to make it look more real.
- 5. Fill the bottle almost to the top with warm water
- 6. Add drops of food colouring into water.
- 7. Squeeze 6 drops of dishwashing soap into the bottle
- 8. Add 2 tablespoons of baking soda
- 9. Slowly pour vinegar into the bottle and then watch what happens…
2. Make a Rain Cloud
You will need: large jar with lid, white chalk, a zip lock bag, a balloon (round in shape), a pair of scissors and a rubber band.
- 1. Pour an inch of water into your jar. Put the lid on tightly and leave.
- 2. Crush your chalk stick into powder
- 3. Cut the neck off your balloon
- 4. Take the lid off your jar and pour in the chalk dust.
- 5. Quickly cover the neck of the jar with your balloon and use the rubber band to fasten it – keeping the balloon tightly stretched over the jar opening.
- 6. Press the balloon down into the jar with your fist or fingers as far as possible without releasing the elastic band. Hold it like this for 30 seconds.
- 7. Remove the balloon - what do you see?
- 8. You should have made your own rain cloud!