Did you know, second to water, black tea is one of the most consumed drinks in the world! It’s stronger in flavour and contains more caffeine than some other teas, but less caffeine than what you would find in a cup of coffee.
If you are the ultimate black tea fan, then you will be pleased to know that black tea boasts a range of health benefits! Aside from containing antioxidants and compounds known to reduce inflammation in your body, there are a range of health benefits that you can enjoy with each cup.
- Black tea contains flavonoids, which are beneficial for heart health. Research has shown that if you drink black tea often, it may help reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Too much cholesterol in your body can increase the risk of heart disease and stroke. Studies have found that regular consumption of black tea may help reduce your cholesterol levels, improving your health and lowering your risk of a potential stroke.
- The polyphenols and antimicrobial properties in black tea may help improve your gut health and immunity by killing off harmful substances and bacteria.
- High blood sugar levels can result in type 2 diabetes, obesity, cardiovascular disease, kidney failure and even depression. When you consume too much sugar, your body releases insulin, and if the insulin is not used up for energy, your body turns it into fat. Compounds found in non-sweetened black tea, when consumed regularly, have been known to lower your blood sugar levels and improve the use of insulin.
- A cup of black tea keeps you focused. Black tea contains an amino acid called L-theanine, which is known to improve alertness and focus as it increases alpha activity in the brain.
Adding black tea to your daily routine is an easy way to incorporate antioxidants into your diet and potentially reduce your risk of future health complications.
Go on – make yourself a cup of Tetley black tea!