Tetley green tea apple muffins
Makes:Â 10 muffins
- 3 Tetley Green Tea Apple flavoured tea bags
- 200ml boiling water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 Braeburn or Golden delicious apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1.5cm dice
- 170g whole-wheat spelt flour or stoneground whole-wheat flour
- 60g almond meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 50g porridge oats
- 50g (1/2 cup) walnuts, roughly chopped
- 2 eggs
- 100g brown sugar
- 60ml buttermilk
- 80ml coconut or odourless vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pink lady apple, cored and cut into wafers and halved
- 2 tablespoons whole rolled oats, to finish
- icing sugar, for dusting
- Add boiling water to the tea bags and brew for 5 minutes. Stir in the honey and discard the bags.
- Place the apples in a saucepan and add the tea. Poach the apples on a high heat for 6-8 minutes until the liquid is completely reduced and the apples are tender. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180Âº C. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Sift the flour, almond meal, raising agents, mixed spice and salt into a mixing bowl. Add the oats and walnuts to the flour and mix to combine.
- In a jug, whisk together the eggs, sugar, buttermilk, coconut oil and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and fold through lightly. Add the poached apples and fold through.
- Spoon the batter into the cupcake liners.
- Press the apple wafers into the top of each muffin and scatter with oats.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until cooked through.
- Cool on a wire rack and sift with powdered sugar.