Tetley Earl Grey Macarons
|70 g||Icing Sugar â€“ for initial mixture|
|230 g||Icing Sugar â€“ to add to mixture|
|Â½ bagÂ||Tetley Earl Grey,open bag and use leaves|
Almond flour, ground
Pinch of salt
Colouring â€“ if you wish
|2||Tetley Earl Grey tea bags|
|60 ml Â||Boiling water|
|500 ml||Icing sugar|
- Pre-heat oven to 130 Â°C.
- Line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper, then use a biscuit cutter (about3,5 cm in diameter) todraw out circles on the paper.
- Beat the egg whites and 70 g icing sugar together. Mix for 3 minutes on medium in a baking stand mixer. Increase the speed to medium high for another 3 minutes and then increase to high and whip for another 4 minutes - 10minutes in total.The mixture should be really thick and stiff.
- Then add the Tetley tea leaves, salt, almond flour and230 g extra icing sugar. Add colouring at this stage if you wish and fold in using a spatula.
- Deflate the meringue until a soft piping consistency is achieved.
- Use a piping bag fitted with a plain nozzle to pipe out the macarons on the baking sheet.
- Allow to stand until they dry a little on top and you can touch them gently without your finger sticking.
- Place in pre-heated oven at 130 Â°C for 20 -30 minutes, or until you can peel them off the baking sheet.
- Allow to cool and then sandwich together with buttercream.
- Keep sealed in airtight containers.
Makes:approx. 48 macarons
- Steep the 2 teabags in boiling water for 5 min, then remove the bags and squeeze into the tea liquid.
- Cream the butter and icing sugar together, then add the tea liquid until a smooth but firm icing is achieved.