Chocolate, caramel and a cup of Laager Rooibos tea -could it get any better than that? We haveadded our own Laager Rooibos twist to this decadent chocolate cake that you’re sure to love!
- 250ml of strong Laager Rooibos tea
- 50g of cocoa powder
- 125ml of sunflower oil
- 5ml of vanilla essence
- 4 eggs, separated
- 300g of castor sugar
- 280g of cake flour
- 15ml of baking powder
- 400ml Laager Rooibos tea, hot
- 1 tin of caramel condensed milk
- 5ml vanilla essence
- 45g of butter
- 20g of cocoa powder
- 25g of corn flour
- 200g of sugar
- Your choice of decorations
- Preheat your oven to 180 °C. Grease two cake tins and line the bottoms with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, add in the cocoa powder, vanilla essence,sunflower oil and cup of Laager Rooibos tea, mix until smooth. In a smaller bowl, beat in the egg yolks and sugar until creamy. Add the egg and sugar mix into the bowl with the cocoa tea mix and stir well.
- Sift the cake flour, baking powder and salt into the cocoa tea mix and beat well.
- Whip the egg whites until soft peaks start to form and then fold it into the cake batter.
- Pour the mix into the prepared cake tins and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before removing them from the tins and placing it on the wire rack to cool completely.
- Place the hot Laager Rooibos tea, sugar and butter into a saucepan. Stir well until the sugar has dissolved and the butter has melted. Remove the saucepan from the heat.
- In a small bowl, add in the cocoa powder, corn flour and a touch of the Laager Rooibos sugar mix to help form a smooth paste.
- Add in the remaining Laager Rooibos sugar mix and vanilla essence, stir until thick. Pour the mix back into the saucepan and boil for 2 – 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour the mix into a bowl and place it into the fridgeuntil it has completely cooled.
- Once it has cooled, stir in the caramel condensed milk.
- Spread half of the icing on top of one of the cake layers, place the second layer on top and spread the remaining icing over the entire cake.
- Decorate the cake with either fresh berries, sprinkles, grated chocolate or chocolate balls.
- Using a spring-form cake tin makes removing the cake much easier.
- This recipe will need 2 x 23cm cake tins.
- Need to see if your cake is ready? Insert a toothpick in the center of the cake and if it comes out clean, it’s done!