As we launch our Tetley Pure Green tea we thought we would share some interesting Green tea Facts.
1. China is considered to be the birthplace of most tea types. It is said that in 2737 BC the second emperor of China, Shen Nung, had tea leaves blown into his pot of boiling water by accident and found the aroma flavourful and intoxicating.
2. Like regular Black tea - Green tea also comes from the Camellia Sinensis plant.
3. The difference between Green and Black teas results from the production process. Black tea undergoes fermentation which transforms its colour and flavour, whereas Green tea remains unprocessed and retains its colour.
4. Green tea leaves are processed a mere two hours after harvesting. This quick processing prevents fermentation and allows the leaves to retain their health benefits. This also creates the classic green appearance of Green tea.
5. Second only to water, Tea is the most consumed drink on a global scale with Green Tea making up 20% of total Tea Consumption.
6. Green tea is best when consumed between meals. Since Green tea has the potential to absorb iron, drinking it between meals instead of with them will ensure it's not sucking up any health benefits from other foods you are consuming.
7. Research shows that pre-bottled Green Tea contains only three milligrams of flavonoids, whereas home-brewed Green tea contains more than 150! Always brew at home to get the best health benefits possible.
8. Experts say that the perfect steeping time is between three and five minutes for Green tea. This creates a potent tea full of healthy antioxidants.
9. To retain the freshness and flavour in both loose and bagged tea, store your Green tea in a tightly constructed opaque container to protect it from light, moisture and food odours.