- 2 Eggs, large
- 1/3 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1 x 150g Bournville dark chocolate slab
- ½ cup All-purpose flour
- ½ tsp Baking soda
- ¾ cup Sugar
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 cup Semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup Sour cream / plain yoghurt / buttermilk
- Preheat your oven to 180°C. Place a roasting pan with water (bain-marie) at the bottom of the oven so that the chocolate doesn't burn.
- Coarsely chop the chocolate and place it in a medium sized heat-proof bowl along with the butter.
- Microwave on high in 30 second increments, whisking after each until completely smooth.
- Whisk in the sugar, eggs, vanilla essence and sour cream. Set aside.
- Whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl.
- Add in the wet ingredients and fold to completely combine- make sure there are no flour spots at the bottom of the bowl! Fold in the chocolate chips. Batter will be thick.
- Grease a 12-hole muffin pan with non-stick spray and set aside. Fill until ¾ full with the prepared muffin mix. Place roasting pan with water on the bottom rack and the muffin pan on the rack above. Bake for 15 minutes or until the skewer comes out clean. Place on a cooling rack and allow to cool completely before icing
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- 100g unsalted butter, softened
- 125g smooth, plain cream cheese
- 2 cups icing sugar
- ½ cup cocoa, sifted
- Place the butter and cream cheese in an electric mixer and beat for 6-8 minutes or until pale and creamy.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add the icing sugar and cocoa and beat for a further 6-8 minutes or until pale and fluffy.
- Ice your muffins or cake and garnish with speckled eggs for an Easter version or chocolate Whispers for a celebration version