What more could you ask for in a Cheesecake? This Caramel and Rooibos combination is a must try! This scrumptious treat will go down perfectly with your afternoon tea. This recipe serves 8 – 12.
- 100g butter or margarine, melted
- 2 packets of sweet biscuits – crushed (can be a plain chocolate biscuit)
- 500g cream cheese
- 1 tin (385g) of caramel condensed milk
- 250ml (1 cup) Laager Rooibos Syrup (see the recipe below, needs to be made in advance)
- 20ml (4 tsp) caramel essence
- 500ml (2 cups) fresh cream
- 30g caster sugar
- 15g powdered gelatin, dissolved in 50ml of warm, strong Laager Rooibos Tea
- To make the biscuit crust, mix the crushed biscuits with the melted butter or margarine. Press the mixture into the base of a greased pie dish or loose-bottomed cake tin (23cm in diameter).
- In a bowl, mix the cream cheese, condensed milk, Laager Rooibos syrup and caramel essence together. Whip the cream and castor sugar to the soft peak stage. Add the gelatin to the cream cheese mixture and fold in the cream. Stir until well mixed.
- Pour the mixture into the crust and refrigerate for approximately 5 hours.
- Garnish with fresh strawberries.
Laager Rooibos Syrup
Use this Laager Rooibos Syrup over your pancakes, French toast and waffles! You will never use store-bought syrup again. This recipe makes 300-350ml of syrup.
- 2 litres (8 cups) water
- 5 Laager Rooibos tea bags
- 50 ml honey
- 280g white sugar
- 20 ml (4 tsp) lemon juice
- 10 ml (4 tsp) vanilla essence
- Combine all the ingredients, except the vanilla essence, in a large saucepan. Stir over low heat until all the sugar has dissolved. Boil over moderate heat for 45 to 50 minutes until reduced and syrupy.
- Remove the tea bags. Add the vanilla essence.
- Allow the syrup to cool before using.