“’Dombolo’ (steamed bread) is our grandma’s favourite dish!” said Lebo. “She used to make it for us all the time. We even have a special ‘dombolo’ pot at home that has probably been there since before we were even born. This specific dish definitely reminds us of her.”
Laager Rooibos Steamed Bread
|10g||Dry instant yeast|
|2 teabags||Laager Rooibos teabags, brewed for 5-10mins|
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Make a well in the centre and pour in the water and oil. Add enough to make a soft (but not sticky) dough.
- Mix and knead for 10 minutes. Leave to rise until double its size (for 1 hour).
- Knock down, transfer to a greased bowl.
- Put the bowl with dough inside a large pot. Add Laager Rooibos tea to the pot, to cover about a 1/3 of the bowl. (No tea/water must get into the actual bowl with the dough).
- Cover tightly with lid and steam on the stove at medium heat for an hour.
- Add more tea to the pot if needed.
- You’ll know it’s done when it gives a hollow sound when tested.
For more exciting recipe ideas, follow @withlovefromthetwins and @LaagerRooibos on Facebook.