- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C.
- Prepare sheet pan. Drizzle a bit of oil on the bell peppers. Grill in the oven until black.
- Remove from the oven. Place them in a freezer bag until they sweat. Remove and peel off the skin. Set aside.
- In a medium pan, heat oil, sauté onion and garlic until translucent.
- Chop the peeled red peppers. Add into the onion mixture. Stir for 1 minute. Add the thyme and chillies. Stir in the basil and canned tomatoes. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add in the sugar to cut the acidity of the tomatoes and adjust seasoning.
- Loosen up the soup with some Laager Rooibos tea (instead of stock) and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Use a hand-blender to blitz the soup until smooth (can still be a bit chunky) and heat through.