Method - Jam
- Thinly slice the figs, then place into a saucepan, together with the teabags and water.
- Simmer for 5 minutes on low heat, until the figs start to break down.
- Add sugar, lemon juice and pectin stock.
- Slowly bring to the boil, stirring frequently so the fig doesn’t stick to the bottom. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Once cooled, carefully remove teabags.
- Pour into sterilised jars and seal immediately with sterilised lids.
- Store in the fridge.
Method - Apple Pectin Stock*
- Wash apples and remove stems, then cut into quarters. (Don’t core or remove seeds).
- Add apples and water to a large pot and bring to the boil. Reduce to medium heat and simmer for 10 minutes until apples are soft.
- Remove soft apples from the pot with a spoon and place into a meshed sieve/ strainer. Press gently with the spoon to release juices. (Make sure no pulp goes through).
- Strain juice again in case of impurities – use a muslin cloth overnight.
- Once strained, it is ready to cook with.