Combine the spiced warmth of a mug of Tetley Masala Chai with French toast and you have a winning brunch or weekend breakfast recipe to serve friends and family.
- Cut open 2 Tetley Masala Chai tea bags and sprinkle the contents into a shallow bowl; place the other 2 whole tea bags in the same bowl
- Microwave the milk, on HIGH, for 90 seconds or until scalding; pour into the bowl
- Steep for 5 minutes; discard whole tea bags
- Whisk in the eggs, honey, vanilla and salt
- Set a large, nonstick skillet over medium heat; brush lightly with some of the oil
- Working in batches, soak the bread in the milk mixture for about 10 to 15 seconds per side and transfer to the skillet
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until golden. (Keep the prepared French toast in a warm oven between batches)
- Serve with fresh fruit and additional honey to taste
Makes 8 pieces
This recipe is a great way to use up day old bread because it’ll soak up more of the egg mixture, making the French toast even more flavourful.
Reduce the fat content of this recipe by using 5 egg whites instead of 4 whole eggs and spraying the pan with nonstick spray instead of brushing with oil.
Microwave 1/2 cup (125 mL) honey or maple syrup with 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon, on HIGH, until heated through; stir until well combined. Drizzle over toast before serving.
*Per serving (1 piece): 208 calories, 6 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 95 mg cholesterol, 342 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrates, 3 g fibre, 14 g sugars, 9 g protein. Good source of vitamin D and calcium.