These cupcakes make for the perfect tea-time treat! So make yourself a hot cuppa and indulge in this decadent delight.
What you need:
- 200g cake flour
- 150g castor sugar
- 125 butter at room temperature
- 125ml strong Laager Rooibos tea with 1 tablespoon of honey mixed in
- 2 large eggs
- 2,5ml salt
- 10ml baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 180° and place cupcake cups in a muffin tray.
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and beat until the batter is smooth.
- Divide the batter between the cupcake cups and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes in the tray before placing on a cooling rack to cool completely.
For the Icing:
- 125g soft butter
- 300g icing sugar
- 10 Laager Rooibos teabags
- 100ml cream
- 3 tablespoons of honey
- Make a ‘rooibos syrup’, by combining the Rooibos teabags, cream and honey in a small saucepan and bringing to the boil
- Turn the heat down and allow to simmer very gently for about 20 minutes or until the cream is completely infused with the tea. The mixture should be darkish and thickened.
- Allow to cool.
- Beat the butter with the Rooibos mix until pale and fluffy.
- Add in the sifted icing sugar and beat until creamy. If it’s too thick, add some milk.
- Spread on to the cooled cupcakes and enjoy!