Are you a fruit cake lover? If you weren’t before, you will be now! We have added a Laager twist to this traditional Christmas dessert that will change the way you make your Christmas fruit cake.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Place the Laager Rooibos teabags in a large pot, pour the boiling water over them and let it steep for 10 minutes. When ready, remove the teabags and add in the fruit mix.
- Bring the tea infused water and fruit to the boil. Add in the butter and sugar and boil for 15 minutes. Once boiling, stir in the bicarbonate of soda and then set it aside to cool.
- Add in the flour, beaten eggs, cherries and nuts to the cooled mix and combine well.
- Pour the mixture into a 22cm round greased baking tin and bake for 1 hour or until it rises.
- Let it cool in the tin for 10 minutes before removing and placing it on a wire rack to cool.
- Make sure the cake is firm to the touch before removing it from the oven to cool.
- To improve the flavour – wrap the cake in a wax paper or place it in a lunch box and keep it sealed for 2 days before slicing.