Mini Laager Rooibos & Thyme Pavlovas
4 Egg whites
1 cup Castor sugar
½ tsp Cream of tartar
1 tsp Corn starch
1 bag Laager Rooibos leaves (cut open tea bag and remove leaves)
1 tsp Fresh thyme, chopped
1 tsp Salt
Laager Rooibos Syrup
2 ½ cups Sugar
2 cups Water
4 - 6 bags Laager Rooibos Tea
60 ml Honey
1 TBSP Lemon juice
1 cup Fresh whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 120°
- Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
- With an electric mixer, whisk the egg whites and keep adding a pinch of salt until they form a soft peak. Gradually add in the sugar, then whisk well after every addition until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add in the cream of tartar, corn starch, thyme and loose tea leaves, then whisk for another 3 minutes until stiff peak stage.
- Spoon the meringue into a piping bag and pipe onto the baking sheet in desired shape.
- Reduce oven temperature to 90°
- Bake for 1 hour 30 minutes, then turn the oven off and let the pavlovas cool completely n the oven.
- To make the Laager Rooibos syrup, bring all the ingredients, except the honey and lemon, to a simmer on low heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, then remove from the heat and remove the teabags.
- Stir in the honey and lemon juice and set aside to cool completely.
- Once cooled, top the pavlovas with whipped cream and drizzle with syrup, then top with the fresh thyme.