- 1 cup of strong Laager Rooibos tea
- 500g of sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- Juice from ½ a lemon
- 1½ cups of self-raising flour
- 40g butter
- ½ a cup of milk
- Oil, for deep-frying
- In a large pot, on medium to high heat add in the sugar, cinnamon and ginger, the cup of Laager Rooibos tea and lemon juice. Mix until the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove the mix from the heat, pour it into a medium sized bowl and place it in the fridge until it has chilled.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the flour and butter. Using your hands, mix the flour and butter together until it starts to resemble breadcrumbs. Make a well in the centre of the dough mix and add in the milk. Mix until a soft dough starts to form.
- Knead the dough gently until smooth, roll it out thinly, cut it into equal sized strips and plait them together to form small koeksisters. The size of the strips will depend on how long you would like your koeksisters to be.
- In a large pot, heat the oil on a medium to high heat. Remove the syrup mix from the fridge and set it aside on your counter. Place the koeksister dough into the oil and fry until it turns golden brown.
- Once golden brown, remove the koeksisters from the oil and dip them into the cold syrup right away! Repeat this