LAAGER ROOIBOS SYRUP INGREDIENTS:
2 ½ cups Sugar
2 cups Water
4 - 6 bags Laager Rooibos Tea
60 ml Honey
1 TBSP Lemon juice
750 g Walnuts, toasted
2 tsp Mixed spice
4 TBSP Sugar
500 g Phyllo pastry, thawed
500 g Butter
LAAGER ROOIBOS SYRUP METHOD:
- Bring all the ingredients, except the honey and lemon, to a simmer on low heat until the sugar dissolves. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, then remove the teabags.
- Stir in the honey and lemon juice.
- Set aside and allow to cool completely.
- In a food processor, grind the nuts coarsely together with mixed spice and sugar, then remove and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 190°C and grease the bottom and sides of a baking tray with butter.
- Unroll the thawed phyllo pastry and cover with a damp cloth to keep from drying out.
- Layer the bottom of the pan with 6 sheets of phyllo, buttering in between each sheet.
- Spread about 1/3 of the nut mixture on top of the phyllo, then top with three more buttered layers of phyllo - repeat this two more times with nuts and phyllo and top with 6 sheets of buttered phyllo pastry.
- Pre-cut diamond shapes into the phyllo - just a deep score, not all the way to the bottom.
- Lightly sprinkle with cold water.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Pour cooled syrup over the hot baklava as soon as you’ve removed from the oven.
- Set aside to cool down and enjoy.