We’ve added a touch of Laager Rooibos tea to this traditional South African dish! Not only is it super simple to make but this recipe is also diabetic friendly.
- In a large pot, heat the oil and fry the onions, ginger and garlic. Add in the sweet potato, the remainder of the spices and fry until you start to smell the aromas.
- Reduce the heat, add in the lentils and Laager Rooibos tea. Cover the mix with a lid and let it simmer for 30 - 40 minutes, until the lentils are cooked.
- Preheat your oven to 180˚C.
- Add in the raisins, vinegar, salt, lemon juice and pepper. Once well combined, spoon the lentil mix into an oven proof dish.
- In a medium size bowl, mix the eggs and buttermilk together and pour it over the top of the lentil mixture.
- Place a few bay leaves over the egg mix, sprinkle on the almonds and place it in the oven to bake for 30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven, let it cool slightly and enjoy!
- This dish is best served with a side ofvegetables, salad or yellow rice.
- Prefer to enjoy Bobotie on its own? Add a delicious chunky salsa and enjoy!
- Don’t like raisins? Leave them out!