The only thing better than a cup of chai tea is this light and fluffy chai tea cupcake recipe from Yoursunnysideup
- Preheat oven to 170°C.
- Heat the milk in a saucepan until it starts to boil.
- Add the teabags and set aside and allow to infuse and cool.
- In a bowl, combine all dry ingredients - the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter.
- Mix well and rub in the butter until you get a breadcrumb consistency.
- Remove the teabags from the milk (be sure to squeeze out all the milk) and set 1 teabag aside to use for the buttercream.
- Add the egg to the milk and mix well.
- Gradually add the wet mixture to the dry, mixing well and making sure everything is combined.
- Fill cupcake liner by scooping a couple of tablespoons of the mixture into each one.
- Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Once baked, immediately remove cupcakes from the tin and place on a cooling rack.
- Allow to cool completely before adding the buttercream.
Method for the Buttercream
- Add the teabag to the milk and set aside for a few minutes.
- Mix together the butter and icing sugar. The longer you mix, the fluffier it will be.
- Slowly add the milk and continue whisking for another 2-3 minutes.
- Optional: Add food colouring to the buttercream.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before decorating or the buttercream will melt.
- Decorate as you choose.