Recipe by Mbali Mapholi (@urbandietitian)
1. Prepare the rooibos infusion:
- In a medium-sized pot, bring 2 cups of water to a boil.
- Add the Laager Rooibos tea bags and let them steep for about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the tea bags and set the infused water aside.
2. Sauté aromatics:
- Heat the canola oil in a large skillet or pot over medium heat.
- Add the white parts of the spring onions and minced garlic.
- Sauté for about 2-3 minutes until fragrant and slightly softened.
3. Add Spices:
- Stir in the curry powder, paprika, and cayenne pepper.
- Sauté for an additional 1-2 minutes until the spices are aromatic.
4. Tomato base:
- Add the diced tomatoes to the skillet and cook for about 5 minutes until they start to break down and release their juices.
5. Add chickpeas:
- Pour in the drained, chickpeas and mix well with the tomato mixture.
6. Pour in Rooibos infusion:
- Carefully pour the prepared rooibos-infused water into the skillet.
- Stir everything together.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the stew simmer for about 15-20 minutes, allowing the flavours to meld and the stew to thicken slightly.
- If the mixture gets too dry, you can add a little more water.
8. Season and garnish:
- Season the stew with salt and pepper to taste. If you prefer a strongerRooibos flavour, you can add a pinch of rooibos tea leaves (removed from the tea bags) at this point.
- Stir in the green parts of the spring onions for a fresh flavour.
- Ladle the rooibos-infused chickpeas stew into bowls. Garnish with chopped parsley for a burst of colour and freshness.
- Serve with rice - if you prefer.