Vanilla Chai Pancakes
1½ cups Milk
4 teabags Laager Rooibos
1½ cups Cake flour
2 tsp Baking powder
2 Tbs Sugar
1 large Egg
2 Tbs Canola or vegetable oil
2 tsp Vanilla essence
- Prepare the steeped milk: Add milk and 3 teabags to a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat and let gently simmer for 3-5 minutes. Remove teabags, squeezing the liquid out as you remove them (discard teabags). Let milk cool in the refrigerator.
- Mix the dry ingredients for the pancakes: Whisk together the flour, baking powder and sugar.
- Cut open the remaining teabag, grind the leaves in a food processor (or using a mortar and pestle) until fine, and stir in the contents.
- Once the milk has cooled, prepare the wet ingredients by whisking together the egg, milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla essence.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and gently fold together until just incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Heat a large non-stick pan or griddle over medium heat.
- Spray with non-stick cooking spray if desired.
- Spoon 1/4 to 1/3 cup of batter (depending on desired size) onto the pan and use your fingers to spread it out a little into a circle.
- Cook until bubbles begin to form on the surface (a couple of minutes), then flip over and repeat until golden brown on both sides.
- Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve pancakes warm.