Rooibos Chai Ice Cream
We love the fact that Rooibos is turning up in all sorts of recipes, from espressos and lattes to this grown-up ice cream. This delicious dessert will be hard to say no to – and why should you since there is nothing you have to feel guilty as it’s loaded with all the goodness that comes with Rooibos.
Flavoured with notes of chai and Rooibos, this one is bound to impress! No ice cream maker? No problem, this recipe doesn’t actually need one…
500ml Double cream
6 Laager Rooibos teabags
1 Star anise (Can be found at most spice shops)
1 tbsp Cardamom pods (Can be found at most spice shops)
Half a stick of Cinnamon
8 Egg yolks
150g Castor sugar
- Bring the cream and milk to the boil in a saucepan with the teabags and spices. Once the mixture begins to boil, remove from the heat.
- Whisk the egg yolks and then add the sugar. Keep whisking until pale and creamy.
- Pour the cream and milk blend through a sieve and add it bit by bit into the sugar and egg mixture.
- Pour it all into a saucepan and place on the stove over a low heat. Cook for 10 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently.
- Place the mixture into a bowl and cover the surface with plastic wrap (but don’t make it airtight by wrapping the plastic over the sides of the bowl). Leave in the fridge to cool.
- Once cold, pour it into an ice cream container and place in the freezer. Ensure you whisk the ice cream every half an hour until it’s almost frozen.
- Serve in sugar cones or bowls, and enjoy!