Rooibos Tea Loaf
Who wouldn’t love a delicious tea loaf that’s light and full of flavour? We’re crazy about this cake, and the orange glacé icing really adds a whole new dimension to the flavour.
Amp up the orange with a little fresh grated orange zest on top!
Recipe and image courtesy of Le Creuset
80ml Boiling water
3 Laager Rooibos teabags
180g Castor sugar
10ml Orange rind, grated
3 extra-large Eggs, beaten
120g Cake flour
120g Self-raising flour
For the icing:
250ml Icing sugar
15ml Orange juice
A little hot Laager Rooibos tea
- Add the boiling water to the teabags and allow to stand, infuse, and cool.
- Cream the butter and add the sugar and orange rind. Beat until light and fluffy. Gradually add the well-beaten eggs.
- Sift together the flours and salt and fold into the butter mixture, alternating with the tea until well blended.
- Pour into a greased loaf tin and bake for 40 – 45 minutes 180ºC or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- To make the glacé icing, sift the icing sugar into a bowl and add the orange juice and sufficient leftover tea to form a mixture that will run smoothly when dropped from a spoon. If the icing is too thin, add more icing sugar to correct the consistency.
- Ice the top of the cake and decorate with a sprinkling of dry tea.
Do you have any Laager Rooibos recipes that you love to make? Share them with us in the comments section below!