1 cup milk 1 cup of single cream 2 Laager Rooibos teabags ½ tsp. vanilla essence ½ cup caster sugar 2 whole eggs and 2 egg yolks whipped cream orange zest
- Pre-heat the oven to 170°C.
- Put the milk, cream and Rooibos teabags into a saucepan and bring slowly to the boil.
- Draw off the heat, cover and leave to infuse for 5 minutes.
- Remove the teabags. Stir in the sugar until it is completely dissolved, and then add the vanilla essence.
- In a separate bowl, beat the whole eggs and the egg yolks lightly to mix.
- Pour into the flavoured milk and cream mixture, stirring constantly.
- Strain the mixture, using a fine sieve, and then pour into 4 or 5 ramekins.
- Stand the ramekins in a roasting tray. Pour boiling water into the tray until it sits half way up the ramekins’ sides.
- Transfer carefully to the oven.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, until the custards have just set.
- Take the ramekins out of their water bath, and serve hot, warm or chilled. Use a knife around the edge to loosen before tipping out onto a plate.
- Serve each custard with orange zest and lightly whipped cream.