Easter Chocolate Cupcakes
Are you looking for that perfect tea time treat to go with your cup of Tetley tea? Give this chocolate cupcake a go!
This recipe makes 12 medium sized cup cakes
- 2 eggs, large
- 1/3 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1 x 150g Bournville dark chocolate slab
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup sour cream / plain yoghurt / buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 180.
- Coarsely chop the chocolate and place it in a medium heat-proof bowl along with the butter.
- Microwave on high in 30 second increments, whisking after each until completely smooth.
- Whisk in the sugar, eggs, vanilla, and sour cream. Set aside.
- Whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients and fold to completely combine- make sure there are no flour spots at the bottom of the bowl! Fold in the chocolate chips. The batter should be thick.
- Add a cupcake cup to each hole in your muffin tray and fill each cup up to ¾ full of the prepared muffin mix.
- Place a roasting pan with water on the bottom rack and the muffin pan on the rack above it.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the skewer comes out clean.
- Place it on to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely before icing
Chocolate cream cheese icing
- 100g unsalted butter, softened
- 125g smooth, plain cream cheese
- 2 cups icing sugar
- ½ cup cocoa, sifted
- Place the butter and cream cheese in an electric mixer and beat for 6–8 minutes or until pale and creamy.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add the icing sugar and cocoa and beat for a further 6–8 minutes or until pale and fluffy.
- Ice your cupcakes and garnish with chocolate Easter eggs.