Blueberry Rooibos Scones with Yoghurt Glaze
- 4 cups (500g) cake flour
- ⅔ cups (150g) salted butter, chilled
- ¼ cup plus a tbsp (70g) caster sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- ⅔ cup (160g) buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Laager Rooibos Teabags, keep the tea leaves and discard the bags
- 1 ⅓ cup (200g) frozen blueberries dusted in flour
- 1 cup (125g) icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tbsp double thick yoghurt
- Zest of 1 lemon plus 1 tsp juice
Method (Makes 10):
- Sift the dry ingredients together.
- Grate in the cold butter and rub it into the dry ingredients to form a rough, shaggy mixture with large crumbs.
- Combine the eggs, buttermilk, vanilla and tea and whisk.
- Cut the wet ingredients into the white ingredients using a butter knife until the dough just comes together (don’t overwork it). It should be a rough uneven dough. Add the frozen blueberries then flatten the dough onto a lightly floured surface using your hands, then cut it into 5cm rounds using a cookie cutter or a glass.
- Place on a lined baking tray then brush with a little milk and bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees C (or 160 fan-forced) for 45 minutes or until golden.
- For the glaze; whisk all the ingredients together to form a smooth paste. Once the scones are fully baked through, serve with the yoghurt glaze.