Who doesn’t love a tasty cupcake?
This vanilla cupcake’s soft sponge and creamy icing will soon become your new favourite. Whip up a batch and invite your friends over for an afternoon tea.
For the sponge:
- 2 ½ cups of flour
- 2 cups of sugar
- 3 tsp. of baking powder
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 cup of milk
- ½ a cup of vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. of vanilla essence
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup of water
For the icing:
- ½ cup of soft salted butter
- 4 cups of icing sugar
- 1 ½ tsp. of vanilla essence
- 3 tbsp. of water
- Preheat your oven to 180°C and line a cupcake pan with paper cups.
- Add all the dry cupcake ingredients to a large bowl. In a separate bowl, add in all the wet ingredients (except for the cup of water) and mix until well combined. Add the wet mix to the dry ingredients and beat until well combined.
- On a low speed, slowly add the water to the batter and mix until smooth.
- Fill the cupcake liners with the cupcake mix. Be sure to fill the cups only half way because the batter will rise as it bakes. Bake for 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs attached.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven tray and let it cool for a few minutes on a cooling rack.
- To make the icing, beat the softened butter and sifted icing sugar together until well combined. Add in the vanilla essence and one spoon of water and mix until combined. If the mix is still a bit thick, you can add in another spoon of water.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled down you can ice the cupcakes, decorate them with your choice of toppings and enjoy!
Add a twist to your vanilla icing with our Tea4Kidz infused buttercream icing.