Beef Stew With a Laager Rooibos Twist
Take advantage of those colder nights with this hearty beef stew dish.
Serves 4 - 6
For the Samp and Beans:
- 500g of samp and beans
- 2 litres of Laager Rooibos tea
- 50g of butter
- Salt and pepperto taste
For the Beef Stew:
- 30ml of vegetable oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 15ml of paprika
- 500g of beef cubes
- 250ml of beef stock
- 250ml Laager Rooibos Tea
- 250ml of red wine (optional)
- 30ml of tomato paste
- 2 leeks, thinly chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, cut in quarters
- 2 large carrots, thickly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Soak the samp and beans in the Laager Rooibos tea overnight.
- For the beef stew, heat the oil in a large pot and fry the garlic, onion and paprika for 3 minutes. Add in the beef and brown for 5 minutes before adding in the stock, Laager Rooibos Tea, wine and tomato paste. Cover with a lid and let the stew simmer on a low heat until the meat is tender.
- While the stew is simmering, get started on your samp and beans. Drain out the tea and place the samp and beans in a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring the water to the boil, reduce the heat and let it simmer until soft. Stir in the butter, add in the salt and pepper and set it aside to cool.
- Once the meat is tender, add in the leaks, potatoes and carrots. Cook for a further 30 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Warm up the samp and beans and serve with the beef stew.
*Replace the beef cubes with oxtail.