Beef and Apricot Casserole
Tuck into a hearty Beef and Apricot Casserole that will keep your family coming back for more! This recipe serves 6 people.
1 large sliced onion
1 crushed garlic clove
30ml olive oil
2 finely chopped celery stalks
1kg diced stewing beef
150g rindless bacon
40g cake flour
1 tin chopped whole tomatoes
1 beef stock cube, dissolved in 250ml hot, strong Laager Rooibos
10ml Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
250ml red wine
125g dried apricots, soaked in 250 ml cold strong Laager Rooibos
285 g finely chopped mushrooms
- Preheat the oven to 170 °C.
- Saut© the onion and garlic in 15 ml of oil until soft, then add the celery and saut© gently. Once done, place into the 2 litre casserole dish.
- Fry the bacon in the remaining oil and then add into the casserole dish.
- Toss the beef in cake flour till covered. Brown the meat (add a little extra oil, if need be), stir in the remaining cake flour and fry gently and once cooked add it to the casserole dish.
- Then in the casserole dish, mix in the tomatoes, Laager Rooibos Beef Stock, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, wine, the apricots with the Laager Rooibos and mushrooms to the casserole.
- Cover and bake for 30 to 40 minutes.
Source: A Touch of Rooibos recipe book