Tetley Mint & Green Tea Ice Cream
• 300ml cream
• 8 Mint flavoured Tetley Green Tea teabags
• 1 cup caster sugar
• 6 egg yolks
• 300ml cream for whipping
1. Place the cream, teabags and ¼ cup of sugar into a saucepan over low heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Increase the heat to medium and bring to just below boiling point. Remove from heat and leave it to stand for 1 hour.
2. Strain the infused cream through a sieve into a clean saucepan, pressing down on the tea bags to extract all the flavour. Return to medium heat and bring to just below boiling point and then remove from heat.
3. Beat the yolks and remaining ¾ cup of sugar with an electric beater until thick and pale.
4. Stir the hot cream mixture into the yolk mixture, then return to a clean saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for 5-6 minutes until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon and has a custard like texture.
5. Transfer to a bowl and cover the surface with plastic wrap and leave it to chill.
6. Whisk the additional cream until soft peaks start to form, then fold it into the cooled custard.
7. Churn in an ice cream machine until ice cream consistency is reached.
8. Place in an airtight container and freeze until needed.
9. Serve in parfait bowls and garnish with mint leaves and green melon.
If you don’t have an ice cream churner, alternatively, pour the mixture into a shallow container and freeze for 2 hours or until frozen at edges. Beat with electric beaters, then refreeze. Repeat 2 or 3 times. Transfer to a plastic container and freeze until firm.