Laager infused apple and mixed spice bake
|500 g||Sweet apples with the skin, cut into wedges|
|100 ml||Laager Rooibos tea|
|1 cup (250ml)||Buttermilk|
|100 ml||Low-fat milk|
|1 tbsp (15ml)||Vanilla essence|
|1 tbsp (15 ml)||Lemon rind, finely grated|
|¼ cup (60 ml)||Ground almonds|
|100 ml||Cake flour|
|½ tsp (2,5 ml)||Baking powder|
|1 tbsp (15 ml)||Sugar (optional)|
|½ tbsp (7,5 ml)||Mixed spice, ground|
|1 tsp (5 ml)||Icing sugar (optional) mixed with a pinch of ground mixed spice|
|175 ml||Plain low-fat yoghurt|
- Preheat oven to 200 ˚C
- Place apples, Laager Rooibos tea and cinnamon stick in a saucepan. Simmer for 7-10 minutes or until just tender.
- Spoon apples and Laager Rooibos tea into a lightly greased oven dish.
- Beat buttermilk, milk, vanilla, eggs and lemon rind together. Stir in almonds, flour, baking powder, sugar (optional) and mixed spice to form a runny batter. Pour over the apples.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown and cooked.
- Serve immediately with a light dusting of the icing sugar (optional) and 2 tbsp (30 ml) plain low-fat yoghurt per person
Tips This recipe works just as well with ripe pears.
Note that the carb key is close to 30-40 g per portion.